Friday, September 17, 2010

Hyderabad-inspired “Pakki” Biryani

I shall call this Mutton Biryani – Cyberabadi Biryani for lack of a better name. And I expect you to treat it with respect, just like the Nizams revered their Biryani. It may not be the authentic kachchi Biryani the royalty of Hyderabad is used to having, but quite close.

Close enough for second helpings.

IMG_1127 I have many Biryani-loving friends in the real and virtual world – Finely Chopped, who can have biryani for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The very enthusiastic Tojo Roy, who waits and demands that Biryanis be made and posts be written without any delay. And our dear Amarnath Babu who has every right and reason to denounce any attempts towards Hyderabadi cuisine if it isn’t authentic. After all, he has a Blog of Hyderabadi recipes.

I have made this pakki biryani for a dinner tonight and will serve it with some cucumber raita and salad. A glass of red is paired well with a biryani like this.

The basic recipe is from here, though I have tweaked it a bit. So while I document it, you go watch the YouTube video and come back to my post.

IMG_1123 Ingredients for Hyderabad-inspired “Pakki” Biryani are:

For the meat:

1.5 kg goat meat, bone in (you can use lamb, but I wouldn’t recommend chicken)
A little over 1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup fried onions
2 tablespoons green chili paste
2 heaped tablespoons of ginger-garlic paste
Half teaspoon mace powder
Quarter teaspoon cardamom powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
Half teaspoon red chili powder
1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
2 black cardamoms, crushed
2-3 green cardamoms, crushed
1 stick of cinnamon
4-5 cloves
2 bay leaves
Handful of coarsely chopped mint leaves
Handful of coarsely chopped coriander leaves
Quarter cup vegetable oil
Salt

Ask your butcher to cut the goat meat in bigger than regular curry pieces. Lean mean is not needed for biryanis, so its okay to keep some fat on the meat pieces. I would recommend you ask for a baby goat’s shoulder portion.

IMG_1090 IMG_1091 IMG_1092 Marinade the meat with all the ingredients except salt and leave it overnight in the fridge.

IMG_1099Find a heavy-bottom pan from your kitchen and transfer the marinated meat into it. Place it on low-medium heat and let it cook for 15 minutes. Once the heat spreads to the pan and the meat starts to show signs of being “cooked”, crank up the heat. This way the yogurt in your meat will not curdle. Add salt.

Cover and cook the meat till it starts falling off the bones. It should take you about 45 minutes to get your meat cooked on medium heat.

IMG_1108 IMG_1113

While the meat is getting done, we will simultaneously do the rice for the Biryani too.

Ingredients for the Biryani rice are:

3 cups Basmati rice, washed, and soaked in water for 30 minutes, drained in a colander
One and half teaspoons shahi jeera/ black cumin
2 bay leaves
2 black + 2 green cardamoms
1 stick of cinnamon
Half teaspoon grated nutmeg
Half tablespoon desi ghee
Salt

Heat water in a big saucepan. Add the whole spices – shahi jeera, bay leaves, cardamoms, cinnamon, nutmeg, ghee and salt.

IMG_1112 Boil the water with the spices for about 5-7 minutes and then add the rice. The idea is to extract the fragrance from the spices and infuse it with our rice. The rice takes very little time to cook. Make sure you are stirring it and watching over it all the time. Check a few grains to see if its done. Drain in a colander and keep aside.

Since a pakki biryani is typically layered, we will ready the ingredients ahead in time and not wait till the meat and rice is done. The essential item for layering any biryani is – crispy fried slivers of red onion. Some biryanis also have boiled potatoes and eggs in between. I did not want to use eggs in this Biryani today, but since I did have a few baby potatoes, I thought they’d go well.

Ingredients for Layering are:

2 medium size red onions, very thinly sliced
1 or 2 potatoes, boiled and peeled
Fresh mint leaves, torn
Saffron strands, soaked in warm water
Few drops of Kewra essence
Oil for frying the onions

IMG_1109 Slice the onions and deep fry them in hot oil to get a caramelized color on them, remove with slotted spoon.

IMG_1110

I boiled the baby potatoes, peeled and fried them for a couple of minutes in the same oil the onions were fried.

The layering of the biryani is the most interesting part of the post-cooking phase.

The thumb rule to layering in pakki biryani is that the base and the top layers always have to be rice.

IMG_1115 Here is the sequence I follow for my pakki biryani – rice, meat (without any of its gravy), fried onions, potatoes, mint leaves, little drizzle of saffron and kewra, and then rice again. Complete the layering when you have used all the meat and rice. Remember to garnish with mint leaves and fried onions and saffron and drops of kewra on the top.

Save the gravy to be served with the biryani later.

IMG_1118 Keep covered. You can heat the biryani vessel on your stove top by place a pan or a tava at the bottom, so that the base of the vessel does not come in direct contact with heat. If the bowl is microwaveable, you can of course microwave!

IMG_1132 IMG_1131 IMG_1136 I am sending my Mutton Biryani to Michael Lee West’s Foodie Friday.

25 comments:

Kalyan Karmakar said...

Hey Pree thanks for this Friday dinner treat. The biriyani looks yum and delicate... just up my street

GB said...

nyum nyum nyum.......
can't talk now, my mouth is too full. Thanks for the treat!

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

ahha never made Mutton biriyani and guess now its time to give a it a try. looks very delicate.

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

jiggesh korte bhule gelam oi royal blue col er embroidered kaporta kiser? table cloth? gorgeous.

PreeOccupied said...

@Sayantani, haashbe na toh? Ota aamaar ekta skirt! :-(

Satrupa said...

Hi,
Thanks for visiting my space and leaving your comment.
Cyberabadi Biriyani looks yumm ... I lived in Hyderabad for few years because of work and I luv everything that has a touch of hyderabad/cyberabad to it :)
Luv your clicks too ..

Happy to follow you ...

Cheers n Happy Cooking,
Satrupa

http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Hi,

yummy yummy biryani...beautiful clicks..............

Dr.Sameena@

www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com
www.lovelypriyanka.blogspot.com

Sunita Mohan said...

This looks so yum! I love biriyani and have been drooling all over my keyboard looking at these pics.
Thanks for the tip about the shoulder portions.

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Pree
Thats some Biriyani , I must tell you!! I have been avoiding making biriyani for months now. ( too lazy me)
I think I shall start with this one and the prawn one can wait
have a nice sunday

Pam said...

This looks and sounds delicious!

Priya Suresh said...

Woww fabulous looking biryani looks tooooo tempting..

Reeni said...

Hi Pree, Dropped by to respond to your question - I think eggplant is a good idea! I would go ahead and give it try. Let me know how it turns out if you do. Your biryani looks wonderful!

♥peachkins♥ said...

That looks so good!

Gouri Guha said...

Pree, mutton biriyani, my favourite. Anoke deen holo banaeeni. tomar dish ta khoob lobhoniyo hoyeche...staring at the pic I feel I should cook some to fulfill the craze it is creating:)

Rohit said...

Thanks, Pree. This was amazing. My friends thought I am an awesome cook but then I had to reveal the secret and all the praise went for you. I am jealous!

Unknown said...

Very informative and inspiring post have been posted here. I bookmarked this blog further more information about new indian recipes.last weekend i visit a Indian restaurant for dinner. it was awesome experience of biryani taste. I never forget it's taste.I am going to cook it at home.

Unknown said...

Hi Mate!
Thanks for sharing this Wonderful Article.
I have found another great site like yours for Meat Online.
Here you go: Order Meat Online

anil kasba said...

Hello there,
It’s really an awesome information and amazing article, i appreciate for sharing such a nice post, if you guys looking to spend a fantastic vacation,
Enjoy a perfect Chinese food experience in Skynest Chinese Restaurant in Gachibowli. We provide an exquisite modern culinary interpretation of Chinese Culture. Visit our
Skynest
Hyderabad. Make your living to be spacious, comfortable and luxurious with our service apartments in Hyderabad. We offer you the best deals at an affordable price. Located Near Wipro Circle-Gachibowli. Book your stay-8297029977/66

Gane said...

Wow this recipie is amazing and no one would never miss to add pepper masala to the preparation


Raw Honey Online, Black Pepper Online, Buy cardamom online

opbestcom said...


Good article, but it would be better if in future you can share more about this subject. Keep posting.

Feel free to surf to my page - 대구오피

(freaky)

Preetham said...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2323313225223260309&postID=8477119148310075998&page=1&token=1639660168913&isPopup=true

mamta pandy said...

If I can write like you, I will be very happy, but where is my luck, in fact people like you are an example for the world. You have written this comment very beautifully, I am very glad that I thank you from the bottom of my heart. beautiful Girl Gurgaon
online girl gurgaon
Online Girl Number Dehradun
Gurgaon girl number
housewife Gurgaon
premium health
Health Tips
Rice Cake
India Rice Cake

Boby said...

This is a good comment, it is an inspiration for today's youth, when we see such comments, we get to learn a lot from such articles. Can you write an article on a delightful subject which is such an article. I want to thank them.


golden opportunity
college girls in gurugram
Butey girl agency

flip bodyspa said...

Our hot girl massage therapists are capable enough to overcome all the difficulties, obviously we can provide all these at your home service massage in chennai

izspa.net said...

we provide best hot massage girl therapists for all type of spa services at late night spa in hyderabad center, our hot girl give service you with full night